LINTON Family Traditional Lore
LINTON Family Traditional Lore
Cousin President George Washington (1731-1799)
Did you know that, Kirk Louis LINTON (1914-1987) was the 6th cousin five times removed of President George WASHINGTON (1731-1799).
General George Washington (1731-1799) © Mount Vernon Ladies Association of the Union.
Elizabeth LINTON (1645-1672) & Richard BALL (1645-1677)
(3rd cousin seven times removed of Annie Lucretia CRONK 1888-1956)
(3rd cousin eight times removed of Kirk Louis LINTON 1914-1987)
extracted from the Virginia LINTONs © 1995
Terry Louis Linton © 1995
Linton Research Fund Inc., Publication © 1995
LINTON & BIRD Chronicles, Volume V, Issue 2, Summer © 2010, ISSN 1941-3521
Did you know that, Kirk Louis LINTON (1914-1987) was the 6th cousin five times removed of President George WASHINGTON (1731-1799). George’s mother, Mary BALL (1698-1789) was the granddaughter of Elizabeth LINTON (1645-1672) and Richard BALL (1645-1677) of Hunting Creek Plantation, of olde King George, County, Virginia. Elizabeth was born, In Port Tobacco, Charles County, Maryland and married Richard there in 1668. Richard BALL was born at Barkham Manor, in Parish Barkham, County Berkshire, England Richard was the son of William BALL (1614-1680) and Hannah ATHEROLD (1619-1695)Elizabeth and Richard BALL had nine known children:
Elizabeth LINTON Ball (1645-1672) was the 1st cousin nine times removed of Kirk Louis Linton (1914-1987).
i. William (1660-?) Hunting Creek Plantation, of olde King George County, Virginia.
ii. Francis (1662-?) Hunting Creek Plantation, of olde King George County, Virginia.
iii. Hannah (1664-?) Hunting Creek Plantation, of olde King George County, Virginia.
iv. John (1670-?) Hunting Creek Plantation, of olde King George County, Virginia.
v. Alling (1670-?) Hunting Creek Plantation, of olde King George, County, Virginia.
vi. Richard (1672-?) Hunting Creek Plantation, of olde King George County, Virginia.
vii. Samuel (1674-?) Hunting Creek Plantation, of olde King George County, Virginia.
viii Edward BALL (1678-?) Middlesex County, Virginia.
Elizabeth LINTON (1645-1672) was the daughter of Moses LINTON (1613-1693) and Elizabeth. Moses was born in 1613 in Kecoughtan, Elizabeth Cittie, olde Princes Ann County, Virginia. According to historian,William Strachey (1572-1621), Kecoughtan was the name of the Algonquian Native Americans village living there when the English explorers and colonists arrived and received their first welcome in America in 1607, in the present day Hampton Roads area, Virginia. The tribe remained generally friendly to them until the summer of 1609, when President John Smith (1580-1631) sent Captaine Martin to forcibly take over the island inhabited by the Nansemonds, across the mouth of the James River. A company of 17 men mutinied from Martin and absconded to Kecoughtan to buy corn, where they were all killed. Martin abandoned the Nansemonds' island and returned to Jamestown.
According to William Strachey (1572-1621) in 1610, the colonists including Captaine Radcliffe and Elizabeth’s grandfather, carpenter, William LINTON Esquire (1590-?) and his bothers, Moses, John and Joseph Linton then built Fort Algernon at Old Point Comfort beside the main Kecoughtan village. After the arrival of Lord Delaware, the English seized the natives' land on July 9, 1610 by luring them out of their village with a tambourine player, then attacking them. The surviving Kecoughtans fled to merge with other Powhatan groups. On the same date in 1610, the Elizabeth City Parish was founded. The area and the parish has since been continuously occupied. Renamed St. John's Episcopal Church in 1830, the parish is the oldest English-speaking parish in the US today. Kecoughtan became part of Elizabeth River Shire in 1634, and Elizabeth City County in 1637. In the 1690s, Kecoughtan became part of the newly incorporated Town of Hampton, which later became an independent city. Elizabeth City County and its only incorporated town, Phoebus, both agreed to a consolidation with Hampton in 1952, forming the current City of Hampton.
In 1608, Elizabeth’s grandfather and brothers had been ship wicked on the Somers Isles, now Saint Charles, Bermuda, with Master William Strachey (1572-1621). Esquire, William LINTON 1590-?) later left the Kecoughtan, Elizabeth Cittie Colony and his brothers and resettled on Somers Isles. William became a sugarcane plantation owner there and left many Linton descendants including an island named after him, Linton Island.
Elizabeth was the 5th great-granddaughter of John LINTON (1450-?) of Olde Wynkill, Parish Wynkill, County Staffordshire, England. Kirk Louis LINTON’s (1914-1987) mother, Annie Lucretia CRONK (1888-1956) was the 13th great-granddaughter of the same John LINTON of Olde Wynkill.