First Maryland Artillery, CSA

Linton Research Fund, Inc., HOME PAGE Guest Book LINTON Gallery BIRD Gallery BLOG LINTON Traditional Lore BIRD Family Tree LINTON Family Tree Today's Birthdays & Anniversaries BIRD Chronicles Table of Contents BIRD Chronicles LINTON Chronicles SURNAME Index SURNAME Family Tree Menu How to become a Member LINTON Chronicles Table of Contexts

Welcome to the First Maryland Artillery, CSA

Editors Note: I have used this article by the Reenactors and Living Historians All Rights Reserved by the 1st MD Artillery C.S.A. © 2005, numerous times as a source over the years, but can no longer find it on line, so we have Reprinted in it’s entirely.

First Maryland Artillery, CSA

Reenactors and Living Historians

All Rights Reserved by the 1st MD Artillery C.S.A. © 2005

Reprinted by

LINTON & BIRD Chronicles, Volume VII, Issue 4, Winter © 2013, ISSN 1941-3521

The first encampment was "Brook's Station," near Aquia Creek, where the battery remained until October 1861. Then the 1st Maryland was ordered to the banks of the Potomac river to help with the blockade effort. They occupied a position on the extreme right of the Confederate line, at "Shipping Point." Every two to three days the men would march to Evansport and the Occoquan River on false rumors that the enemy was advancing. The 1st Maryland remained here until March 1862, when they were were then ordered to "Fredericksburg." After a rough and muddy march they encamped on the south side of the Rappahannock and were attached to General Pettigrew's brigade. Two days later they arrived in Ashland where they only stayed for a few days, then proceeded to Yorktown. At this point the 1st Maryland was marching about 22 miles a day. In Yorktown the company was placed under reserve corps of General Gustavus Woodson Smith. When the Confederates were forced to evacuate Yorktown, the 1st Maryland was ordered to bring up the rear guard, and they brought all their guns with them and mounted wooden guns in their place.

General Hooker had been following the Confederates for some time and when they reached Williamsburg the Confederate Army manned the forts and breastworks in preparation for an attack with Hooker, which the attack did take place against General Longstreet. The rebels retreated to Barhamsville, then on to West Point where the 1st Maryland joined the command of General John Bell Hood. The Yankees landed 20,000 strong under the command of Major General William Buel Franklin, but were successfully charged by General Hood and his Texans Brigade. Afterwards, the company marched to the Chickahominy, then crossed over the river with the enemy following, which lead to a fight at Bottom's Bridge.

The 1st Maryland continued to Richmond then took the Nine-Mile Road for Seven Pines. The rivers were swollen due to huge rain fall which caused all of the enemy's bridges to wash away, so General Johnston decided to attack. Here the 1st Maryland "Displayed extraordinary military tactics and heroism."

On June 26, 1862 at the battle of Mechanicsville, the battery was engaged heavily and suffered severe losses in both men and horses. At 4 P.M., General A.P. Hill sent for two guns of the 1st Maryland to lead the advance and crossed the Mechanicsville Bridge with the skirmishers. General Hill ordered the guns to shell the woods because the enemy was there in strong force. The order was carried out and they followed the Yankees up to Mechanicsville and opened on their guns while the infantry charged them. The 1st Maryland was given credit for firing the first shots at Mechanicsville. Captain Andrews was wounded in this battle but stayed at his post. He was advanced to Major for "Gallant and Meritous conduct displayed in the battles before Richmond." This is when Lieutenant Dement assumed command of the battery and was to later command a reputation that put him second to no other artillery command in service. Major Andrews had a battalion formed for him which consisted of the First Maryland, the Chesapeake (4th Maryland), and several Virginia batteries.

The 1st Maryland was then engaged at Gaines' Mill, where they were firing upon the enemy in support of Generals A.P. Hill and George Edward Pickett. Then they fought at Frazier's Farm and Malvern Hill. The confederates lost heavily, but were successful in preventing General McClellan from reaching Richmond. At Malvern Hill, Lieutenant Dabney was promoted to Captain and Lieutenant John Gale was assigned to the battery.

June 26, 1862

After the Seven Days battle, the battery was ordered to Gordonville. Lieutenant Dabney was detached and sent to Port Hudson, so William I. Hill was promoted to Second Lieutenant and J. H. Stonestreet was advanced to Third Lieutenant. In Gordonville, the battery was ordered to join General Stonewall Jackson near Orange Courthouse, where it was attached to Lawton's Georgia Brigade. At the battle of Cedar Run, the battery suffered severely, even though it was a decided Confederate victory under General Jackson. Two of the 1st Maryland Guns had been ordered to the front while the rest were ordered to take position with the Louisiana Guard Artillery. The latter guns were charged nine times, each time repulsing the enemy with great slaughter.

After Cedar Run, General Jackson marched his command to Warrenton Springs to unite with General Early, whose command included the Chesapeake Battery of Maryland or the 4th Maryland. Here, the 1st Maryland was mistakenly ordered to cross the Rappahannock River. During the night a terrific rain came, washed the bridges out, and stranded them on the wrong side of the river. General Jackson yelled across that if the Yanks came, the guns should be abandoned and thrown into the river. The next day the Maryland batteries took positions in several different places to give the illusion of a bigger force. At night, General Pope tried to attack, but were opened upon with canister, grape, and shell when they got within 300 yards of the guns. The next day, the 1st Maryland was ordered to place their guns on a high hill. The Calvary marched in full view of the Yankees to make them think the whole army was there. Meanwhile, a bridge was being constructed and at nightfall General Early and his troops succeeded in joining General Jackson. When safely across they burned the bridge so the enemy couldn't follow.

On August 22, General Early's brigade Ewell's division crossed the Rappohannock at White Sulpher Springs. This brigade consisted of the 1st Maryland, the 3rd Maryland, and the 13th Georgia. General Pope sent a large force to attack this advance, but Dement opened on them with canister at very short range and repulsed them. Four days later, Pope advanced again at Bristow, but again was stopped by Dement's guns until Ewell could get on his way to Manassas, VA.

General Jackson's troops then moved to Manassas where the 1st Maryland fought beside the 2nd Maryland (Baltimore Light) under Captain Brockenbrough and the 4th Maryland (Chesapeake) under Captain Brown. On August 28, 1862, Pope attacked Jackson and Captain Dement was ordered by General A.P. Hill to fire the first shots into the advancing Yankees. The 1st Maryland had been positioned within 300 yards of the enemy with 32 rounds of canister. As the enemy pressed forward in superior numbers, Lieutenant Hill of Dement's battery would drag his guns to the rear for a hundred yards, halt , and renew the fight. Finally the enemy was driven back with heavy losses. On the last day, the 30th, the 1st Maryland exhausted all long range projectiles and was moved up closer to shorten the range and increase the efficiency of canister.

The next day, nearly two weeks of marching began that would take the troops through such towns as Sudley Ford, Germantown, Chantilly, Drainville, Leesburg, Frederick, Boonsborough Gap, and Williamsport, where they crossed the Potomac River on their way to Harper's Ferry.

At Harper's Ferry Col. Crutchfield (Jackson's Chief of Artillery) took two guns from Dement as well as two from each of 3 other batteries and had them cross the Shenandoah river and make there way up the mountains to Loudoun Heights. From here the 1st Maryland and the Chesapeake were positioned in such a way that they were able to hurl their fire into the ranks of General Miles and his troops, several hundred feet below. After just six shots upon the batteries on Bolivar Heights, the Union troops fled. After the surrender, Captain Dement marched to Sharpsburg, but arrived too late to participate in the fighting. After the invasion of Maryland, Early's division to which the 1st Maryland was attached moved to Martinsburg, then to Bunker Hill, and on to White Post. In November 1862, they crossed the Blue Ridge near New Market, proceeded to Fredricksburg, and camped below Hamilton's Landing.

From Fredericksburg the battery was sent to Bowling Green in Carolin County, Virginia where it went into winter quarters. The camp was broken in May 1863 and the battery returned to Fredericksburg, They were then ordered to DeJarnettes Ford (where Pole Cat Creek flows into the Mattapony River) about 6 1/2 miles south of Bowling Green the later returned to Fredericksburg where the battery was placed in Major Andrew's battalion.

The 1st Maryland was sent to the right of Marye's Heights, but was handicapped by their Napoleons of short range. The Chesapeake and Pogue batteries were sent to help them and both suffered severely before they were able to place their guns in position. When the Union's infantry got within closer range, the batteries let loose and the fire from the Napoleons slowed the advancing Yanks. The Federals were able to overrun Marye's Heights, however, and the left flank fell back some distance, but Sedgwick's success was short-lived.

Major Andrews positioned his battalion near Telegraph Road where they were partially concealed. Major Latimer gave orders to fire on nothing but infantry and when the enemy came suddenly upon them out of the woods, twenty cannons opened on them several times with grape and canister. When the 1st Maryland was relieved by two other batteries, they went to the rear. General Early sent his compliments to every man in the battery for their gallant and noble conduct on the field. During the battles of Fredericksburg and Chancellorsville, the 1st Maryland Battery sustained heavy damage and later proceeded to Hollidays' Farm to repair the pieces and rest.

In June 1863, the Army of Northern Virginia left Fredericksburg and began its invasion of Pennsylvania. Col. Snowden Andrews' battery now belonged to Ewell's Corps which moved by way of Front Royal to Winchester, where the battalion was assigned to the division of General Edward Johnson.

Before the Confederates entered Pennsylvania, they met the Federals between Winchester and Martinsburg. This resulted in a victory and the capture of 2,300 Yankees.

On June 15, Dement's battery was placed in short range of the enemy, where it held its position until thirteen of the sixteen men in the two detachments were either killed or wounded. Lieutenant John Morgan of the 1st North Carolina Infantry and Lieutenant Randolph McKim of Baltimore, aide-de-campe to Brigadier General George Hume "Maryland" Steuart, volunteered and helped to operate the guns until the Union surrender. Colonel Snowden Andrews and Lieutenant Contee were among the fourteen wounded and five killed from the battery.

After the engagement, Col. Thompson, Chief of Artillery, recommended Lieutenant Contee for promotion to captain of the Chesapeake Artillery to replace Caption William Brown who had been killed. Mention was also made of Sergeants John G. Harris and J.E. Glassocke and Corporals William P. Compton, Samuel Thompson, and William H. May "are much to be praised for their coolness and bravery on this occasion".

From here, General Ewell took his command towards the Potomac River, which was crossed at Shepherdstown. Dement's Battery was happy to be on native Maryland soil after such a long absence. Upon reaching the Pennsylvania Line, the division marched towards Carlisle via Chambersburg. They camped near Fayetteville on June 30th and resumed marching on the morning of July 1st in the direction of Gettysburg.

General Edward Johnson and his command arrived too late for the first day's battle, but he was not to blame. He passed through the outskirts of town and formed his line of battle along the Hanover road and that night the troops laid upon their arms.

About 4 o'clock the morning of July 2nd, 20 year old Major Joseph Latimer began looking for a position for his guns. Benner's Hill was the only commanding position he could find, even though it was completely commanded by the defenses on Cemetery Ridge. Fourteen guns were crowded into the cramped space and opened at about 4 o'clock that afternoon. The battalion immediately became the object of furious fire from over 40 pieces of Federal artillery on Cemetery and Culp's Hills. Latimer and his command never received support or relief from any other units of Ewell's artillery, but fought bravely until dark, at which time Major Latimer was fatally wounded.

After Gettysburg, the men of the 1st Maryland dragged their tired and distraught bodies to Williamsport where they crossed the Potomac River. At Hagerstown, Colonel Andrews reported for duty and once again took command of the battalion.

Upon reaching Virginia, the battalion marched through Martinsburg, Bunker Hill, Liberty Mills, and finally near Charlottesville, where it remained until it was ordered to march to Mine Run to resist the advance of Meade. From Mine Run, the battalion was sent to Frederick's Hall, where it was turned over to Colonel Braxton. Colonel Andrews relinquished his command because of the recurrence of the terrible wound he had received at Cedar Run.

At Frederick's Hall, Captain Dement and others were captured by Colonel Ulrie Dahlgren and his raiders on their way to carry out an assassination plot against President Davis and his cabinet. While a prisoner, Captain Dement was involved in the skirmish which resulted in Dahlgren's death and was able to rejoin his battery.

In March 1864, the 1st Maryland was transferred to the newly formed Maryland Line and went into winter quarters at Hanover Junction. When Grant began his march through the Wilderness in April, the battery joined the command of General Breckinridge.

The Confederates were assembled at Cold Harbor to administer one more crushing blow to the enemy as Grant slowly made his way to Richmond. Breckinridge ordered Dement's battery to the front and to hold Grant in check until he could form his line of battle. Dement brought his battery up on the run and in an instant was pouring canister into the enemy. When Grant attacked the next morning, June 3rd, the 1st Maryland contributed its share in what turned into a general slaughter of the Yankee troops. The 1st Maryland fired nothing but canister from its Napoleons and by dusk, over 10,000 Federal solders had been lost, while the Confederate casualties were minimal.

When Grant moved from Lee's front, Lee crossed the James River and the 1st Maryland went into position near Wilcox's Run. After remaining there for a while, it was placed in one of the fortifications near Petersburg. On June 22, 1864, Mahone's division of the Third Corps moved out of the works to attack the enemy's left. Lieutenant Colonel McIntock, now commanding the battery, accompanied Malone with the Maryland battery under the command of Lieutenant Gale.

At the proper time, Dement's Battery moved quickly forward, took position near the enemy's works and opened fire, while the infantry under cover of the artillery rushed forward and carried the enemy's entrenchments. They captured a large number of prisoners and four pieces of artillery. Lieutenant Gale and the men were complimented highly for their gallant behavior.

The battery received a narrow escape from the explosion of Burnside's Mine, but many of the men were wounded by the falling debris. Then began one of the most terrific artillery duels of the war, for Grant opened simultaneously with every gun. Never before had the 1st Maryland been under such a fire.

At this point, the battery had been seen upon the field of action for the last time. It spent some time in the fortifications around Petersburg until January 1865, when their guns were taken from them and they were sent to man the heavy guns at Drury's Bluff, from which they never fired a shot.

The end of the war was fast approaching and when General Lee evacuated Petersburg, the men of 1st Maryland Artillery followed with muskets in hand. At Saylor's Creek, they were engaged in a severe fight, when Harry Pennington of Baltimore gave up his life for the cause he loved so well, the last man of the battery to be killed.

Finally, on April 9th, 1865 at Appomattox Courthouse, the First Maryland Artillery surrendered.


This is the jacket worn by captain R. Snowden Andrews when he was wounded at Cedar Run in 1862. He was hit by a shell fragment that nearly took out his intestines. He was not expected to live because of his severe injuries but had a plate sewn to him and returned to service only to be wounded again later.

The Daily Dispatch: July 16, 1861.

Hdqrs. Md. Flying Artillery,

Camp Maryland, July 15, 1861.

Wanted--Two Buglers and fifty Recruits. jy 16--12t*


The Daily Dispatch: August 17, 1861.

Maryland artillery.

--The officers of this admirable company are A. Snowden Andrews, of Baltimore, Captain; William F. Dement, of Charles, First Lieutenant; Charles Contee, of Prince George, Second Lieutenant; F. Dabney, of Mississippi, Third Lieutenant. The company consists of one hundred men, all Marylanders save four Mississippians. Their battery consists of one rifled cannon, two 12-pounders and three 12-pound howitzers. They have been encamped near the Reservoir, where men and horses have undergone a strict course of drill, preparatory to being ordered upon active service. High expectations have been entertained of this corps, which has been a great favorite in Richmond, and is composed of the sons of many of the oldest and best families in lower Maryland. Their uniform is in color a light grey, almost white, from which it can hardly be distinguished at a distance ¡ª kepi, jacket and trousers being all of the same color, relieved by scarlet trimmings. The Maryland Artillery left Richmond yesterday morning.


The Daily Dispatch: June 7, 1862.

The lines.

As reported for several successive days, little has occurred at the front to break upon the oppressive and unusual quiet of the lines. Every needful preparation has been made for any movement, offensive or defensive, but the impossible state of the roads precludes the possibility of active movements, should not the enemy take the initiative and force upon us ¡ª a consummation devoutly to be wished. Skirmishing of some king, either with sharp- shooters of artillery, goes on every day.


Yesterday morning Capt. Squires's 1st Company of the Washington Artillery, together with Capt. Andrews's Maryland battery, and some places of Col. Lee's command, engaged the enemy's batteries across the river. After a fight of nearly three hours the enemy withdrew, having suffered a loss of one caisson exploded and several men and horses killed.

Later in the day Captain Squires moved a section of his battery to a point commanding the river, where a regiment of the enemy was engaged in building a pontoon bridge. The section opened fire upon them with spherical case and cannister, driving them from their work in confusion, and killing and wounding a large number. In the evening the battery shelled a house six hundred yards from Dr. Garnett's, used by the enemy as an outpost for their pickets. Falling to set it on fire, Lieutenant E. Owen, of the Washington Artillery, Volunteered to take a squad of men and burn it. About a dozen of the Eighteenth Mississippi accompanied him, and started at a double-quick towards the enemy's lines. Arriving at the house, Lieutenant Owen crape in at a window and fired the staircase. In a short time the place was reduced to ashes. The party then retired leisurely, not receiving a shot, although within fifty yards of the enemy's lines, and in full view. General Magruder complimented Lieutenant Owen for his gallantry, and expressed himself gratified at the result of the adventured.--The enemy have not fired at our batteries since.

The state of the roads along our lines is indeed a serious matter, and in their terrible condition, from recent rains, render the duties of quartermasters and commissaries the most laborious and irksome in the army.--Yet, although much has been done by the authorities to improve the condition of things and facilitate transportation as far as practicable, a little resight and prudence could effect much more. As many of the usual averages of communication are cut off from a wing of the army by much water in the lower parts of the city, it would not require more than a detail of fifty men to open others, and span the creeks with good temporary log bridges. Yet this has not been done, and consequently, what few bridges remain are over-worked, and heavily laden teems have slipped and fallen over into the ditch, blocking up the only bridge and ford which remained intact at present.

The roads are in a wretched condition, but could be improved, and should be for none know the moment when guns will have to cross and perhaps hurriedly. Last Saturday it was impossible to bring up artillery early in the action, because of the roads. Yet it is not a very difficult or expensive matter to detail two or three hundred men for half day, and with trimmed logs and common earth, and a little of the superabundant mud everywhere visible, the roads would not only be passable, but practicable for all and every purpose.

The heavy firing on Thursday morning was a matter of much town talk and conjecture, the prevalent opinion being that it arose from a second attack on Drury's bluff, but upon riding towards the line of fire, through acres of mud and innumerable sheets of water, we found the noise proceeded from an artillery dust then progressing on Garrotting farm, between some of our places and those of the enemy's battery on the north bank of the Chickahominy. For some time past the foe have been busily erecting earthworks, from which they kept up a continual fire upon the Mississippians drawn up in line of battle, and picketing in the bottom.

The 17th and 18th Mississippians being nearest the enemy, their sharpshooters and artillery have paid them great attention, never failing to shell them liberally every morning and evening. On Thursday, however, some few of cur artillerists undertook to reply, and accordingly two pieces from the Louisiana 1st Maryland, Hampton Legion, and Rewan ( N. C.) batteries, drove upon a knell near Garnet's house, before a wooded hallow, and kept up such a heavy, rapid and accurate fire upon the enemy that, although reinforced to double the strength of ours, they were forced to retreat to the woods, leaving many dead and wounded, which we saw conveyed from the field on stretchers. Our position being accurately known to the enemy, we did not take the caissons into action, the limbers alone advancing, so that when short of ammunition two other pieces advanced to the others retired, thus keeping up a continual and exciting movement, highly exhilarating and beautiful. The fire on both sides was very accurate, but so hotly were the foe replied to that a flag of trace was been waving, as if for a cessation of hostilities. This was disregarded, however, as their only object was to gain time and bring up heavier and more numerous pieces than ours. After about ninety minutes cannonade, all subdued into quiet again along the line, cur loss being one horse killed, two wounded, and three or four slightly wounded by fragments of shells among the artillerymen, and one of the 15th Mississippi slightly in the month. Garnett's house is very much shaken ¡ª a shell having entered the roof and exploded in the passage, destroying every pane of class in the dwelling, and rendering it unsafe for the sick of the brigade encamped around these.

In regard to the particular active of one of the batteries (Bowan's North Carolina Battery,) we learn through a communication, that they were ordered with four pieces into the tailor, when some of the other guns were withdrawn and nearly all the time engaged instanced the fire of every gun the enemy had "in battery"--the greater portion being of pry heavy calibre. The men of the battery behaved themselves with the greatest coolness and bravery under the terrible fire ¡ª exposed, too, from the position they were placed it, on the top of a hill enfiladed on all sides by the enemy's batteries. The injuries sustained by the battery, although very slight in the time engaged, was greater than any other battery in the action--one horse killed another half his head shot away, and two wounded beyond recovery ¡ª total, four horses killed and wounded."

The Daily Dispatch: June 17, 1862.

25 Dollars reward.

--The following privates belonging to the Maryland Flying Artillery, having absented themselves from the company without leave, thus deserting in the presence of the enemy, are published as deserters, viz:

Charles H. Mann.

Jerome Busk.

Sherard B. Hannon.

Henry S. Winters.

Joseph Stone,

John Tucker.

The above reward will be paid for each of them, if lodged in Castle Godwin, and notification sent to me.

R. Snowden Andrews,

Capt. Maryland Flying Artillery,

je 16--3t* Post-Office, Richmond.

The Daily Dispatch: August 15, 1862.

The recent battle.

Since Gen. Jackson, in his official dispatch, designated Cedar Run as the locality of the engagement of the 9th inst., it is probable that the term "Battle of Cedar Run" will be universally used in alluding to it. With regard to the details of the fight, we have but little to add to the statements heretofore published. The trains from Gordonsville bring no intelligence, and the facilities accorded the press for communicating with the armies are of the most limited character.

Among the additional casualties reported are the following: Capt. Snowden Andrews, Maryland Artillery, killed; Capt. Deyeric, 42d Virginia regiment, wounded; Capt. W. Y. C. Hannam, commanding 48th Virginia, wounded; Lieut. John Venable, company B, 48th Virginia, wounded; Lieut. Cox, 45th Virginia, killed, Lieut. Hudson, 48th Virginia, wounded; Capt. Duff, 37th Virginia, reported taken prisoner and afterwards killed.

The following are the casualties in the Louisiana Guard Artillery, Capt. D'Aquin, of New Orleans; Killed--Lieut Edward Murphy, Private Paul Peyroun. Wounded--Corporal F. K. Dixon, Privates A. K. Shay, T. A. Senddy, and T. D. Walden.

There are various rumors in circulation as to the movements of our forces, but none are sufficiently authentic to justify publication. The repulse of Saturday last has given the enemy some opportunity to learn the whereabouts of Stonewall Jackson, and they are now hurrying on reinforcements, in the hope of avoiding a similar result in the second encounter. The latest advices from Gordonsville represent that nothing of especial importance has occurred during the present week, though the preparations on both sides indicate that a great battle is near at hand.

The Daily Dispatch: January 30, 1863.

Substitute Wanted.

--To go in the 1st Maryland Artillery. Highest each price paid. Apply to Jas Perdue & Co, Manchester, Va.

ja 30--3t*

The Daily Dispatch: May 8, 1863.

First Maryland Artillery

This corps, commanded by Capt. Dement, defended an important position on the right of Marye's hill on Sunday morning, and did such service as to elicit the especial notice and commendation of Gen. Early. The following is a list of its casualties.

Killed--Private William Roby, of Charles county; N. Pollett, of Somerset county; Dr. P. Duvall, of Anue Arundel county.

Wounded--1st Lieut Join Gale, of Somerset county, severely; Sergeant Alex Young, of Frederick City, slightly; Privates John T. Scharp, of Baltimore slightly; Richard S ed ham and Charles McNe, Baltimore, slightly; Albert Tolson, Prince George, slightly

The Daily Dispatch: May 28, 1863.

List of killed and wounded in Lieut.-Colonel R. Snowden Andrew's Battalion of Artillery, in the second battle of Fredericksburg, May 2d, 3d, 4th, and 5th, 1863:

Captain Domestic Company 1st Maryland battery--Killed: Privates Wm Robey, B Pollits Dr P B Davall, Wounded: John Gale, leg, severely; Serg't A Young severely; privates R Sidnam, head, severely; A Teison arm and shoulder, severely; C McNeal, leg, slightly, John Schalf, leg, slightly.

Carpenter's Battery Capt Carpenter.--Killed: Privates J Grim. Wounded: Capt J G Carpenter, leg severely; private John Kiding head, severely; Serg't J W Reed, a region, slightly.

Lac Battery Capt Raine--Killed: Private W E Owens. Wounded: Privates W H Esdes head, slightly; W D Howell, hand, slightly, F A Marsh, hand and arm slightly.

Battery Capt Brown.--Killed: Corporal R Hopkins. Wounded: Private R E Langley, shoulder severely; Coral F A Carberry, leg, severely; Serg't A Crowley, face slightly private J R Sparks hip slightly.

Battery Capt Graham--Killed: Private G W Stewart Wounded: Privates H severely; Wm shoulder; severely J L Moore, shoulder slightly, Jas Paine, side slightly; Alfred Gold, face, slightly.

The Daily Dispatch: February 5, 1864.

The battle of Winchester.

On the 9th of June Lieut. Gen. R. S. Ewell's (second) corps, being encamped near Culpeper C. H., Major-Gen. J. E. B. Stuart reported a large force of the enemy, made up of cavalry, artillery, and infantry, to have crossed the Rappahannock river, and that they were advancing to give battle. Rodes's division, being nearest to the cavalry, was ordered up to support it, if necessary, but did not become engaged. The result of that fight was a signal repulse to the enemy, though not without severe loss on our side. Inasmuch as I propose to devote a chapter to the operations of the cavalry during the past year I will not now allude further to this fight.

On the afternoon of the 10th of June the whole of Ewell's corps left Culpeper C. H., moving in the direction of Winchester, via Front Royal, in the county of Warren, and crossing the Blue Ridge at Chester Gap on the night of the 12th, the whole corps arrived at and near Front Royal, and was disposed as follows. Johnson's division bivouacked near Cedarville; Early's between the north and south forks of the Shenandoah river, at Front Royal, and Rodes's five miles beyond the river, on the road leading to Berryville.

On the 13th Johnson, moving on the Front Royal road, and Early, on the Valley pike, approached Winchester. About 12 o'clock Johnson's pickets became engaged with the enemy's pickets just below Winchester, and drove them in. Soon thereafter Col. R. Lumden Andrews, with Carpenter's battery, opened fire on a battery of the enemy, which they had advanced out on the Millwood road, driving it into the town, and blowing up one of their caissons. This achievement drew upon Carpenter's battery a heavy, but not well directed fire from the enemy's artillery posted in the forts and on the heights above and beyond the town.--Carpenter, however, did not respond to this fire, and the enemy did him but little damage.

Just before sunset Gordon's Georgia and Hayes's Louisiana brigades, of Early's division, became engaged near Kernstown, about three miles south of Winchester, on the Valley turnpike, with a brigade of the enemy and a battery of their artillery. The enemy, however, made a very feeble stand, and quickly falling back, were pursued by our men, now moving at double quick time, for a distance of some two miles, or until they, the enemy, reached Barton's Mills at the foot of Bowers's hill ¡ª the enemy barely saving their artillery. It was now dark, and operations were suspended for the night. During the night a severe rain fell. At daylight it was discovered that the enemy had abandoned all of his outer works, and had taken up position in his inner and main forts.

Lt. General Ewell, after consultation with Maj-General Early, determined upon a flank movement, in order to reduce the town, as preferable to an assault in front. Gen. Early at once began to move to attack a work of the enemy on the Pugh town road, on a hill commanding their main fort. A circuit of some eight miles was necessary, to avoid observation. Gen. Gordon's brigade of Georgians, with the Maryland battalion of infantry, having been left in the meantime confronting the enemy at Hollingsworth's Mill, near the town, pushed the enemy's pickets to the edge of town, and would have driven them farther, but for fear of drawing the enemy's fire on the town. The rest of the division, consisting of Smith's Hays's, and Hoke's brigades, were now engaged in the execution of the flank movement. Meantime General Johnston moved a portion of his division across the Millwood road, and threw out a line of skirmishers, so as to divert attention from Early's operations. These skirmishers were commanded by Lt. Col. H. J. Williams, who was severely wounded after a conspicuous display of gallantry. With a single line of skirmishers he more than once repulsed the enemy's heavy line of battle, supported by artillery. This line of skirmishers unflinchingly maintained their position until dark.

About an hour before sunset, on the evening of the 14th of June, Gen. Early, without encountering scout or picket, was in easy cannon range of the enemy's work, which it was his purpose to assault. He at once set to work making disposition of his forces, preparatory to the attack.--Twenty pieces of artillery--twelve from Colonel Jones's battalion and eight belonging to the 1st Virginia regiment, under Capt. Dance, Col. Brown acting as Chief of Artillery of corps ¡ª were placed in position. Hays's Louisiana brigade was now ordered to prepare for the charge, and Smith's Virginians were so disposed as to act as supports.--Our artillery opened a vigorous, and well directed fire on the enemy's works and guns. They responded with considerable spirit; but after the artillery duel had been kept up for some thirty minutes the enemy's guns were completely silenced. Then Hays's gallant and fearless Louisianian ¡ª the same men who drove Sedgwick from the heights at Fredericksburg back to Banks's Ford, during the Chancellorsville fights, and the same men too, whose foot tracks have been printed in blood during this rigorous winter, while standing picket on the banks of the Rapidan, for want of shoes, moved forward to the music of our cannon, which were still playing upon the works of the enemy. So fierce and well directed did our iron missiles of death rain around them that no Yankee dared show his head above the parapet. When our men got within two hundred yards of the enemy's works and being still unperceived, suddenly our artillery ceased. And now Hays's men charge over an abattis, capturing the work and taking six pieces of artillery. Lieut. John Orr, of the 6th Louisiana regiment, being the first to enter the enemy's works, fell wounded in the thigh by a Yankee bayonet. The enemy vainly attempted, under cover of the guns of their main fort, to form in the bottom between the two hills and retake the works, but Hays's men manned and turned the enemy's own guns upon them. A few well directed shots quickly broke them in confusion, and they retreated to the inner fort. Just after dark heavy volleys were heard proceeding from the fort, and it is surmised that the enemy must have fired into each other.

That night Gen. Ewell ordered Gen. Ed. Johnson, with the Stonewall brigade, Nichols's (now Stafford's) Louisiana brigade, two regiments of Stuart's brigade, with Carpenter's battery, and sections of Demerit's and Rame's batteries, to move to the Martinsburg road and intercept the expected retreat of the enemy; or, if they should hold their ground, to be prepared for a simultaneous attack at dawn. Gen. J. thought it better, from the roughness of the road which he had to travel, to go to Stevenson's Depot. By a mistake in the delivery of an order, Gen. Walker, with the Stonewall brigade, did not begin to move until after midnight; and so when Gen. J. met the head of the enemy's column, on striking the pike, a little before day, he had only Stuart's two regiments and the Louisiana brigade. The pike and the railroad here run parallel to each other, and not more than an hundred yards apart. The railroad cut is crossed upon a bridge by the road over which Gen. Johnson came, this road striking the pike nearly at right angles. Gen. Johnson posted the infantry along the cut, except the 10th and 2d La. regiments, which were held in reserve to support the artillery. One of Demerit's Napoleon guns was placed by Col. Andrews on the bridge. The other Napoleon was placed a few yards one side, just below our line of battle. The rest of the artillery was on an eminence to the left of the road by which Gen. Johnson came, and one hundred and fifty yards in rear of our line of battle. These dispositions had scarcely been made when the Yankees charged, with loud yelling, hoping to break through our lines and escape. The battle raged for nearly an hour, our troops (but little over 1,200 men) being greatly outnumbered. Just, however, as the last of our cartridges gave out Gen. Walker came up. The enemy had by this time divided into two columns for the purpose of endeavoring to turn both of our flanks simultaneously. Gen. Walker charged the party attempting to turn our right flank, and they surrendered. Gen. Johnson moved the two Louisiana regiments, held in reserve, against the body of the enemy attempting to pass our left flank, and captured the greater part of them.--Though Milroy and three hundred cavalry, besides some straggling infantry, made their escape, our captures here amounted to some 2,500 men.

Our artillery in this action was served most gallantly, and did fine execution. Fourteen out of sixteen men manning the section of Demeritt's battery were killed or wounded, among them Lieut. C. S. Contee, commanding the section, as also Lieut. Col. Andrews. The remaining members of this section staid at their posts, and, assisted by Lieut. R. W. McKim, Gen. G. H. Stuart's A. D. C., and Lieut. John Morgan, 1st N. C. regiment, both of whom volunteered their aid, worked one piece (not being enough to work both,) till the close of the engagement, using grape and canister often at a distance of not more than fifty yards. This singular action, says my informant, closed about fifteen minutes after daylight, and was fought on ground unknown to either party, and for half the time in almost utter darkness.

At daylight, in pursuance of orders, Gordon's Georgia brigade, of Early's division, which had been left on the Valley pike the evening before, advanced into the town, while Early advanced from the captured fort Gordon's men, reaching the main fort, found it abandoned, and hauled down the "old flag" at daylight, just before the enemy, four miles off, surrendered to Gen. Johnson.

At dark on the evening before we captured Winchester, Rodes entered Martinsburg. His division moved from Cedarville, near Front Royal, with the view of cutting off and capturing a force of the enemy at Berryville, in Clark county. The enemy, however, got information of his advance. fled to Winchester, and were among the prisoners captured at that place. Rodes, with Jenkins cavalry brigade, had a sharp skirmish with the enemy

just before entering Martinsburg, capturing one hundred and fifty prisoners and five pieces of artillery. On the road to Martinsburg Jenkins's cavalry had a fight at Bunker's Hill with a force of the enemy's infantry in loopholed houses at that place, killing and capturing seventy- five of the enemy and driving the rest from the house.

After Early had thus taken Winchester, and Johnson had intercepted the enemy's retreat, Gen. Ewell dispatched the small force of cavalry which he had with him in pursuit of the enemy ¡ª and until next morning they were continually bringing in prisoners. The fruits of Johnson and Early's successes may be summed up in the following statement. Twenty-three pieces of artillery, over three hundred loaded wagons, six or seven hundred horses, and over four thousand prisoners, besides large quantities of quartermaster and commissary stores. In fact, of the whole force stationed in the Valley, not over five or six hundred made their escape, and these only saved one piece of their artillery, and this was in the battery of which Jenkins captured the other five. Our official loss, all told, did not foot up quite three hundred. Surely, this was glorious work.

Briefly, then, to recapitulate: Early and Johnson invested Winchester on the morning of the 14th of June, and about the same hour Rodes entered Berryville. Early took the key of the enemy's position at Winchester just as Rodes entered Martinsburg at sunset on the 14th June, and next morning Johnson intercepted the enemy's flying columns.

The 16th Virginia cavalry, of Jenkins's brigade, under Major J. H. Nounnum, was attached to Johnson's division on its advance upon Winchester, and with the cavalry of the Maryland line, on similar duty with Early's division, did good service in picking up stragglers and horses, as also in preventing the escape of some armed bodies of the enemy after the fall of the place. I am also told that O'neal's partisan company was quite useful in the same way.

I have thus hurriedly sketched the main facts connected with the capture of Winchester and the liberation of the Valley. It was altogether a most brilliant episode in the otherwise disastrous Pennsylvania campaign. Lieut. Gen. R. S. Ewell, by his skill, energy, and strategy, fully demonstrated his high capacity for the post to which he had then so recently been promoted; whilst Early, Rodes, and Johnson gave signal proofs of their respective fitness for commands in Jackson's old corps.--And as for the men, it will suffice to say that they were all of Ewell's corps, and had been trained in marching, fighting, and endurance under Stonewall Jackson.

In my next I shall speak of the passage of the Potomac and the Gettysburg fights.

The Daily Dispatch: February 19, 1864.

Mounted artillery Drill.

--We have received a copy of "Andrews's Mounted Artillery Drill," by Lt. Col R. Snowden Andrews. It is by far the best work on field artillery that has been published since the war, and should be in the hands of every officer in that branch of service. The plates, of which there are twenty-one, showing the positions at and movements around the piece, and fifty-two showing battery movements, are excellently done, and many of the best artillery officers may refer to them with advantage. The work is published in Charleston, and for sale, we suppose, at the bookstores here.

The Daily Dispatch: March 2, 1864.

The Raids of the enemy ¡ª capture of Confederate officers.

Gordonsville, March 1.

--The raiders are falling back from Charlottesville, over the road they came. They burnt Burnley's flour mill, six miles from Charlottesville, yesterday evening.

The column of the enemy which went to Frederick's Hall, captured at that point. Col. H. P. Jones, Capts. Dement, Garber, Channing, Page, Watson, and two Lieutenants. They did us very little damage at Frederick's Hall. Rain is still falling.

The Daily Dispatch: March 4, 1864.

Letter from the Army.

[from our own Correspondent.]

Army of Northern Virginia,

March 1st, 1864.

As far back as Thursday last it was said by deserters and scouts that there was a movement on foot in the Yankee army, but none seem to have been prepared or the bold move which the enemy have attempted. On Saturday the enemy, with a force of some two thousand cavalry, backed by infantry supports, and some , moved from Culpeper Court House by way of Madison Court-House, which they occupied about day light of Sunday. From Madison Court-House they moved via Stadardsville, which they reached early day morning and occupied with their infantry, their cavalry meantime pressing forward to Charintteville, in sight of which they came yesterday evening. Upon arriving near this place, however, they found a few cavalry and furloughed men, who were quickly brought together under Major Mason, Q. M, who, supporting St Horse Artillery, under Major Beekham, succeeded in driving back the enemy as they attempted to cross Rivanna river; thus saving the town of Charlottesville, our noble University, and the Rivanna river bridge.

Last night the enemy were encamped in four mites of Charlottesville. Their camp fires being clearly discer

No further effort has been made to advance on Charlottesville; and this morning the enemy are slowly retiring, closely observed and followed by forces adequate, it is hoped, to ensure, their capture.

Whilst this movement was going on upon our left flank, the enemy stole steat across our lower fords and moved towards the Central railroad, which they reached about fifteen minutes after the up train passed, on board of which was no less a personage than Gen. Robert E Lee ¡ª The down train from Gordonsville left as usual, but when near Frederick's Hall was warned off and returned with the passengers to Gordonsville.

This raiding party did not do much damage, and did not. I hear, attempt to get any of our artillery stated near Frederick's Hall. At Frederick's Hall, however, I learn that they captured Lt. Col. H. P. Jones and Capts. Page, Watson, Dement, and some other officers, sitting at that point on Court martial.

A heavy rain has been falling since last night, and the enemy are demonstrating on our front.

Gen. R. E. Lee is safe and in command. X.

The Daily Dispatch: March 7, 1864.

More of the raid ¡ª the division of Kilpatrick's command.

The Northern, news confirms the statement that the late expedition against Richmond was led by Gen. Kilpatrick, with Col. Dahlgren as second in command. After reaching Beaver Dam on Monday, and, destroying the water station and tearing up a few hundred yards of the track at that point, the force divided, Kilpatrick with his command passing through the upper part of Hanover into Louisa, where he took the mountain road, which he followed until he struck the Brook turnpike at the Yellow Tavern. Of the subsequent movements and final escape by the Peninsula route, we have already advised our readers.

After the force was divided, Dahlgren's command proceeded to Frederick Hall, in Louisa county, where they captured several of our officers, who were holding a Court-Martial at the time: Among these officers was Capt. Dement ¡ú , of a Baltimore battery, who was compelled to follow the expedition from the time it left Frederick Hall until Dahlgren was killed by Lieut. Pollard's party, on Wednesday night, in King and Queen. He witnessed the execution of the negro guide in Goochland, and states that Dahlgren furnished a portion of his bridle rein for the accomplishment of the work.

When Dahlgren's party was first intercepted by Pollard's men on Wednesday night he sent for Capt. ¡û Dement ¡ú , whom he required to ride at the head of the column with him. When they came up to where Pollard's men were stationed in ambush Dahlgren ordered a charge, and in an instant a volley was poured in upon him and his followers. This volley killed the horse upon which ¡û Dement ¡ú was riding, and five balls struck Dahlgren--two in the head, two in the body, and one in the leg. He immediately fell from his horse and expired.--After his fall the fight was soon terminated, and that night and the next morning Pollard's command gathered up 91 prisoners, 35 negroes, and 150 horses, which had been stolen on the expedition. Among the prisoners were Major E. F. Cooke, of the 2d N. Y. cavalry, 1st Lieut. H. H. D'Merritt, 5th N. Y. cavalry, and 2d Lieut. Bartley, Signal Corps, U. S. A.

The Army movements in Connection with the raid.

Our correspondent with Gen. Lee's army furnishes us with an account of the movement on Charlottesville, which we are forced to abbreviate in consequence of lack of space. It appears that as far back as last Wednesday our scouts reported that the enemy were concentrating at Culpeper Court-House, and it was further reported by two deserters that Meade would cross the river on Monday.--No attention, it seems, was paid to this information, and when Sedgwick did cross Robinson's river on Saturday night, it was thought to be only an attempt to intercept and recapture the prisoners taken by Mosby on the 22d, in London. He had 7,000 infantry, and occupied Madison Court-House on Sunday morning. He also brought with him about 2,500 cavalry and two pieces of artillery, under Gen. Custar. The cavalry and artillery, commanded by Custar, left on Sunday for Stanardsville, Green county, where it arrived on Monday, and pushed forward to Charlottesville. About twelve o'clock they arrived in the vicinity of Rio Mills, where Stuart's horse artillery, under Major Beckham, was stationed. As soon as the enemy crossed the Rivanna river the artillery, supported by some furloughed and dismounted men, under command of Major R. F. Mason, O. M., of Fitz Lee's division, opened on the advancing column. This seemed entirely unexpected, some of the Yankees exclaiming, "By--, the Secesh have been reinforced; let's go back," which they did at a double quick; nor did they halt to camp until they reached their infantry support at Madison Court-House. Our correspondent says:

Gen. Stuart on Monday moved upon the enemy's near towards Stanardsville, and charged them as they were retreating on Tuesday morning near Wolf on; but owing to the disparity of his numbers, when compared with those of the enemy, he was forced to give back, and the enemy were enabled to make good their retreat.


As your readers know, Gen. Lee had been absent from this army for nearly a week when he returned on Tuesday. I think, during his absence, not anticipating a move, the command was not formally turned over to Gen. Ewell, but that General Chilton and Col. Taylor acted for Gen. Lee, frequently consulting him by telegraph at Richmond. It is certain, I think, that but tittle was done towards arresting the raiders until Gen. Lee returned to camp, about 3 o'clock on Monday and then there was great activity everywhere. Infantry were moved rapidly up to liberty Mills and on towards Madison and within two miles of that place, where our army was drawn up in line of battle on Tuesday evening, and skirmishers thrown forward. A report, however, obtained circulation that the enemy were in our rear, and our column faced about and marched back. When this report was ascertained to be untrue it was too late in return last night and engage the enemy. This morning the enemy had all safety recrossed the Robinson river back to Culpeper.

Our casualties in the cavalry skirmishing amounted, I am told, to some fifteen killed and wounded; among them, Lieut., Parker, 2d cavalry from Amherst, Va., who was severely wounded and left in the enemy's hands.

The Charlottesville raiding party committed the usual excesses on the line of their march, such as robbing houses, stealing horses. (I which ported they got some three hundred,) and carrying off negroes. One of the principal I hear to be Mr. J. J. Bowcock, of Albemarle, presiding justice of that county, and formerly member of the Legislature from that county.

Our boys are now safely pack in camp. They had a most disagreeable time, however, during Monday night, Tuesday and Tuesday night, during all of which time they were exposed to the of a severe and for their and only mother earth.

It was reported this morning in official circles that the enemy crossed infantry at Germana on Tuesday evening and it was said firing was heard in that direction this evening, has as I do not hear confirmation of it in night clothing there must be some mistake.

The enemy at Frederick Hall ¡ª Why they did not attack our artillery.

Though Col. Dahlgren had laid down in his programme "Frederick Hall Station, 6 A. M., destroy artillery, 8 A. M., that portion of it was not carried out. He crossed at Ely's Ford, on the Rapidan, Sunday night, and on Monday morning, as he had projected reached Frederick Hall. The artillery there was in position to receive him. Among the prisoners, whom he captured a short distance from camp, were private Redd, of the 3d company Richmond Howitzers, and Sergeant Wallace McRae, of the 2d company.--From them he could obtain no information beyond the statement that Daniel's brigade was supporting the guns. He hesitated sometime, then determined to attack, and formed in line of battle, but changed his mind, and commenced moving off. Against consultation was had, and it was decided to attack a single gun on a hill near another line was formed, but the attack was again given up. He seemed very facilitating and timid. He started off with the few prisoners he had captured, but released the privates after going a short distance. The officers of the Court Martial, which he captured in the neighborhood, including Lieut.-Col. Jone, Capts. Page and ¡û Dement, and Lt. Garber and others, all their escape. A Lieutenant in Capt. Dance's battery, found near Federick Hall, was carried off a prisoner.

The Daily Dispatch: March 31, 1864.


Died, on Monday night last, at Chimborazo Hospital, private Wm H Bowen, of the Maryland Battery, Capt Dement. He was a native of Anne Arundel county, West river, Maryland; entered the Southern army early in the war, and participated in some of the hardest fought battles, acquitting himself as a brave and gallant soldier. Receiving a wound in the foot, he was sent to Hospital, where he was attacked first with rheumatism, then with typhoid pneumonia, which terminated in consumption, of which he died. A few friends attended the last rites of consigning his remains to the earth, on Tuesday evening, amidst the severe storm then prevailing, and the impressive ritual of the Episcopal Church was read by the Rev Mr Peterkin, those around standing uncovered whilst the rain descended in torrents. The friends of the deceased can but derive consolation from the very singular as well as solemn scene of the funeral of the faithful soldier.

The Daily Dispatch: May 4, 1864.

Recruiting office of the Maryland Line,

Richmond, April 30, 1864.

The Major General Commanding has placed the undersigned in charge of the recruiting service of the Maryland Line, and directed that an office be located at Belvin's Block, 12th street, for the purpose of receiving applications from their fellow citizens who desire to join as volunteers with their brethren now in the service. All persons who were citizens of Maryland, either native or adopted, at the beginning of the war, and who are now in the service, in regiments or commands of other States, in any part of the Confederacy, and wish to be transferred to the "Line," are requested to make their application in the form prefixed, and transmit the same to Major Gen Elzey, Staunton, Va, or Col Bradley T Johnson, Hanover Junction, Va, who will attend to the transfer being made.

The applicant will subscribe his name to the form of transfer, and procure some one having knowledge of his previous residence, to subscribe to the oath annexed, before any commissioned officer of the Confederacy.


Charless Conlee,

First Lieutenant 1st Maryland Battery,

Maryland Line,

The Daily Dispatch: May 7, 1864.

Maryland Volunteer service.

Recruiting Office of the Maryland Line, Richmond, April 30, 1864.

The Major General Commanding has placed the undersigned in charge of the recruiting service of the Maryland Line, and directed that an office be located at Belvin's Block, 12th street, for the purpose of receiving applications from their fellow citizens who desire to join as volunteers with their brethren now in the service. All persons who were citizens of Maryland, either native or adopted, at the beginning of the war, and who are now in the service, in regiments or commands of other States, in any part of the Confederacy, and wish to be transferred to the "Line," are requested to make their application in the form prefixed, and transmit the same to Major Gen Rizey, Staunton, Va, or Col Bradley T Johnson, Hanover Junction, Va, who will attend to the transfer being made.

The applicant will subscribe his name to the form of transfer, and procure some one having knowledge of his previous residence, to subscribe to the oath annexed, before any commissioned officer of the Confederacy.

Charles Coniee,

First Lieutenant 1st Maryland Battery,

Maryland Line.

Form of transfer.

The undersigned, a --in company --regiment,--brigade,--division, --corps, army of--,having been a citizen of Maryland at the commencement of the war, applies for a transfer to the Maryland Line, under General Orders No. 33, Adjutant and Inspector General's Office, 1864. I desire to be transferred to Camp Maryland, Major General Elzey, Staunton, or Camp Howard, Col Bradley T Johnson, Hanover Junction.


Appended is a proof of citizenship:

On this ¡ª day of--, 1864, before the subscriber, a commissioned officer ¡ª regiment,--brigade, personally appeared--, and made oath in due form of law, that he knows that ¡ª was a citizen of Maryland at the commencement of the war

Note.--If the party wishes to be transferred to "Maryland Line," Staunton, strike out "Camp Howard." and vice versa.

The Daily Dispatch: August 3, 1864.


August 2d, of typhoid fever, at the residence of his uncle, E B Tucker, corner of 5th and Franklin streets, Frank Edgar Tucker, son of Captain F A Tucker, aged 21 years and 6 months.

Deceased was a native of the city of Washington, and connected with Dement's 1st Maryland battery.

His remains will be taken to Salem, Roanoke county for interment.


The Daily Dispatch: September 7, 1864.

Interesting case.

--A very important case, as affecting the status of Marylanders in service, will soon come on for trial in Judge Halyburton's Court. Thirty-three members of the First Maryland artillery, who enlisted at the beginning of the war for three years, and whose terms of service have expired, having been refused their discharge by the military authorities, have sued out writs of habeas corpus for the purpose of testing the legality of their retention in the army. The petitioners have secured the services of Mr. John H. Gilmer as counsel, and the decision of the question is looked for with considerable interest by the Marylanders sojourning here and elsewhere in the Confederacy.

The Daily Dispatch: September 14, 1864.

Confederate States District Count, yesterday.

--William B. Briscoe and William H. Brown, members of Dement's battery, who claim exemption from military service on the ground of Maryland citizenship, were yesterday before Judge Halyburton, of the Confederate States District Court, for his judgment in the matter. Mr. John H. Gilmer opened the argument for the petitioners, and was replied to on the part of the Commonwealth by Mr. Alexander H. Sends, after which the matter was postponed till this morning. [This decision, when rendered, will settle the case of twenty-nine others attached to the same company.]

James H. Davis was awarded a writ of habeas corpus on the ground of being a minister of the gospel.


The Daily Dispatch: September 15, 1864.

Confederate States district Court.

--The argument in the habeas corpus case of William B. Briscoe, William H. Brown, and thirty- other members of Dement's Maryland battery, asking a discharge from service upon the ground that their term of service has expired, and that, as Marylanders, they cannot again be consed, was concluded yesterday, and the papers hand over to Judge Halyburton for his decision. The Judge announced that he would take until Monday to consider the matter, after which the court adjourned


The Daily Dispatch: September 20, 1864.

Confederate States District court.

--Judge Halyburton convened his court yesterday, and disposed of the following cases:

John H. Briscoe and William B. Brown, members of Dement's Maryland battery, who petitioned for discharge from military service on the ground of having served out the term for which they enlisted, were duly arraigned; and the Judge having taken time to consider the merits of their application, decided favorably, and ordered their discharge. Three other members of the same company, to wit: Samuel S. Thomas, John C. Hardy and John H. Stinchman, then made application for discharges upon similar grounds, which will occupy the attention of the court at some future time.

The District Attorney entered a nolle pros in the case of Carter Newcomb, indicted for treason; and he was thereupon discharged.

Martha A. Allen renewed her recognizance in the sum of three thousand dollars for the appearance of her son, Lewis H. Allen, on the 10th day of November, to answer the charge of fraudulently obtaining possession of letters from the Richmond post- office.

John W. Davis's petition to be exempted from military service was continued till the 27th instant, and the petitioner was admitted to bail for his appearance.

A. Olsner, indicted for trading in greenbacks, was required to give bail in the sum of three thousand dollars for his appearance at the next term.

Richard D. Hicks also entered into a recognizance for his appearance on the 10th day of November to answer an indictment for misdemeanor.

The court adjourned till this morning at eleven o'clock.

The Daily Dispatch: September 21, 1864.

Confederate States District Court.

John G. Harris and William P. Compton, members of Dement's (Maryland) battery, in favor of whom writs of habeas corpus have been awarded upon applications for discharges from service, will have a hearing on the 26th instant.

The Daily Dispatch: September 22, 1864.

"camp First Maryland Battery ¡ú ,

"McIntosh's battalion Artillery,

"July 8th, 1864. "Colonel W. H. Taylor,

"Assistant Adjutant-General

"Sir: I respectfully ask for the proper authority to discharge certain members of my company, (First ¡û Maryland Battery,) whose term of service will expire on the 13th July, 1864."

This letter was, by order of General Lee, referred to the Secretary at War, who returned it with this endorsement; "Returned through General R. E. Lee. The Secretary of War has decided that Marylanders in service may justly be considered as staying in the Confederacy for an indefinite period as residents; that they have cast their lots with us and are liable to like duties, in resisting a common enemy, with our own citizens. These men will be retained in service."

Captain Dement, not precisely comprehending this novel mode of constituting Marylanders in the service, under a special contract, and for a limited period, as "residents," appealed to the President. No reply being received from the President, my services were retained. These petitions were filed after an effort on my part, in the most respectful manner, to prevent litigation, without success.--Now, these parties are here before this court, with one other singular fact on the record, which it is proper to comment on as an important branch of the history of these cases. It seems that the letter of Captain Dement, addressed to the President, was, on the 22d of July, by that high and respected functionary, regularly referred to the Secretary at War, with this endorsement:

"Secretary of War: As this appeal is founded on a construction of laws applicable to the case, I suggest that the record be presented, with these letters, and referred to the Attorney-General for an opinion.

"Jefferson Davis."

The Daily Dispatch: September 27, 1864.

Confederate States District Court, yesterday.

--This court met at the usual hour--Judge Halyburton presiding, A. H. Sands acting prosecutor.

Write of habeas corpus were awarded P. A. L. Coutee, William H. May, George G. Coombe, Marshall Forbes and John M. Shustei, members of Captain William F. Dement's Maryland battery, claiming discharge from service on the ground of expiration of term of enlistment and illegality of compelling exiles to re-enlist.

William P. Compton, John G. Harris, Samuel F. Thomas, Joshua E. Stinehcomb and John C. Handy were discharged from Captain William F. Dement's company upon writs claiming their discharge upon grounds mentioned in paragraph above.

Peter Morris was discharged on account of being over age ¡ª he proving himself to be sixty- two years old.

A nolle prosequi was entered by consent of the prosecutor in case of Mary B. Yates, indicted for harboring deserters.

Court adjourned till eleven o'clock this morning.

The Daily Dispatch: October 4, 1864.

A Surprise.

--Five Marylanders, members of Dement's battery, who were discharged from service by decision of Judge Halyburton yesterday morning, were much surprised on attempting to retire from the building to find a guard stationed at the door ready to put them into the State reserve forces. Foreseeing what would be the decision upon their pending petition, District Attorney Aylett had previously conferred with Governor Smith, the result of which was [ that ] that distinguished functionary determined to exact militia service from all Marylanders, and accordingly sent his guard to take them in custody. Sooner than serve with the militia, however, the five discharged applicants declined for the present to leave their original organization.

The Daily Dispatch: October 5, 1864.

Confederate States District Court, yesterday

--Judge Halyburton presiding--Writs of habeas corpus were awarded Edward Middleton, Charles McNeal, William G. Higgins and Frank N. Gunby, members of Dement's battery, returnable on the 11th instant.


David Ham, indicted for a misdemeanor, renewed his recognizance to appear on the 10th of November.

John N. Davis's habeas corpus was continued till the 18th instant.

Court adjourned till this morning.


The Daily Dispatch: October 12, 1864.

Confederate States District Court.

--At 11 o'clock yesterday morning, according to adjournment the day before, Judge Halyburton opened his court.

In the case of Frank M. Ganby, William G. Higgins, Charles McNeil, and Edward Middleton, members of Dement's Maryland battery, who claim their discharge from service, under writs of habeas corpus, on the ground of being exiles from Maryland, the petitioners were recognized for their appearance to-day.

James H. Powell's petition for discharge from service was continued till Thursday.

A writ of habeas corpus was awarded Amos M. Herring, and made returnable to-day.

Court adjourned till to-day.

The Daily Dispatch: October 18, 1864.

Confederate States district court.

Judge Halyburton's court was in session a short while yesterday.

Writs of habeas corpus were awarded the following members of Dement's Maryland battery, made returnable on Monday next: J. W. F. Hatton, John R. Yates, William L. Sheirburn, James A. Dorsett, L. W. Jenkins, H. C. Bowie, Enoch R. Berry, Edward T. Richardson, Frank T. Wilson, Thomas H. Sunderland, Eugene Worthington, George W. Bassford, John T. Wilson, Thomas Williams, Lee M. Sutherland, H. D. G. C. Sargent, John Campbell, T. Bernard Gardner, Francis McWilliams and Daniel W. Lloyd.

A writ of habeas corpus was awarded George G. Perrie, directed to Surgeon Lane, at the Winder Hospital, made returnable on Monday. Also, John W. Tucker, directed to Surgeon James B. McCaw, of Chimborazo Hospital, returnable on Monday.

The case of William G. Higgins, Frank W. Ganby, Charles McNeil and Edward Middleton, members of Dement's battery, claiming exemption from service under a writ of habeas corpus, was postponed till this morning.

The court will be opened this morning at 10 o'clock.


The Daily Dispatch: October 19, 1864.

Confederate States District Court, yesterday.

--Frank M. Gunby, William G. Higgins, Charles McNeil and Edward Middleton, members of Dement's Maryland battery, were discharged from the service under writs of Habeas corpus by order of Judge Halyburton.

Writs of habeas corpus were awarded E. F. Anderson, a citizen of Maryland, and J. M. Haden, who claims exemption from military service in consequence of having purchased the same under the five hundred dollar clause. Haden belongs to a class of Christians who believe it against their creed to fight; and for their benefit a law was passed some time since exempting each one upon the payment of five hundred dollars.

The Daily Dispatch: October 26, 1864.

Confederate States District Court.

--In Judge Halyburton's Court the following cases, members of Dement's First Maryland battery, were discharged under writs of habeas corpus yesterday: L. W. Jenkins, John R. Yates, F. T. Nelson, Thomas Williamson, Francis McWilliams, William L. Shelburn, Richard T. Richardson, J. Bernard Gardiner and James A. Dorsett.

The habeas corpus cases of John N. Davis, (Nazarene,) George V. Perrie, John W. Tucker, J. W. F. Hatton. Henry C. Bowie, E. R. Berry, Thomas H. Sunderland, Eugene Worthington, George W. Basford, John M. Sutherland, H. D. G. C. Sergeant, John Campbell and Daniel W. Lloyd, also members of Dement's battery, were continued till to-day.

The court thereupon adjourned till eleven o'clock this morning.

The Daily Dispatch: October 27, 1864.

Confederate States District Court.

--The following persons, members of Captain Dement's (Maryland) battery, were discharged from service by Judge Halyburton yesterday under writs of habeas corpus: J. W. F. Hatton, Enoch R. Berry, H. D. G. C. Sargent, Thomas H. Sunderland, Lee M. Sutherland, George W. Bassford and Daniel M. Lloyd.

The habeas corpus cases of George V. Perrie and John T. Wilson were continued till to-day.

Joseph Cance's case was postponed till Monday.

The court then adjourned till this morning.

The Daily Dispatch: October 28, 1864.


--In Judge Halyburton's court yesterday, George V. Perrie and John T. Wilson, members of Dement's Maryland battery, were discharged from the service under writs of habeas corps.--Nothing else of interest was done

© 2005 All Rights Reserved by the 1st MD Artillery CSA